Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tarts



I had never baked tart until this January.   I like tart all right, but I always preferred cakes with cream.  But I remembered that I enjoyed tarts from this nice little shop called Aux Delices in Connecticut.  However, I can't get anything like that here in my town.  Only solution is to learn how to bake it.
So I started.  I remember that some kind of filling they used was so good.  Now I know that was almond creme.  It was not too difficult make.  After I got comfortable making dough, I started to experimenting.
I like custard in tart, so I made very simple custard and fruits tartlets for afternoon snack.


It is so much fun to arrange the fruits.  Especially caramelized apple.  I like make it look like a flower.
I just love cooked fruits.  Of course fresh fruits are great, too, but I do like them cooked also.



Now when I make filling for tart, I do substitute almond with other nuts.  I like Walnuts.  It gives more down to earth feeling to the tart.  I especially like pecans.  If they are coupled with brown sugar, it becomes very "county" tasting to me.  I love making peach pecan tart.  To me it tastes Southern.  It probably doesn't to real southern people, but the all the ingredients are from this region, an taste so simple and kind so I feel that way.





Making small tartlets is fun too.  They look so cute.  I always make a few for taste testing when I make big tart.





*******************


I've been wanted to make something pretty.  Not food.  With my sewing.  But I couldn't find what to make for long time.  Doing renovation all the time brings chaos to the house and my brain.   I always had clients to tell me what they want, so without them, I felt lost.  But I think something brewing in me.  I found a scrap book that I made 20 years ago to get ideas.  I love the feeling of thinking about making something pretty.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...