Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gorgonzola Pancakes with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes



I sometimes put chocolate chips in my pancakes or blueberries, or nuts and bananas.... but I never cooked pancakes that are not sweet.  But I was feeling experimental.  So I deicide to make something different with the ingredients that I'm comfortable with.   I love gorgonzola.  It's my favorite cheese!  Gorgonzola and red wine makes me as happy as sashimi and Sake.  I know I don't need to pick but I sometimes like torture myself by asking which would I take if I can only have one for rest of my life....  It's difficult decision. 
Anyway, that afternoon, even though I spent all the afternoon making Father's day cake for my father in law the day before, I was ready to work again!

*Gorgonzola Pancakes*
1/2 cup Flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg yellow
Salt to taste
1/3 cup Milk 
1/4 ~1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese
2 egg white
3 tablespoon butter

< 1 > Mix flour, baking powder, egg yellow, salt together.
< 2 > Dissolve the cheese  with milk and mix into the batter.
< 3 > Whisk egg whites until it forms a peak and mix it into the batter carefully.
< 4 > Melt the butter in a heated pan.  Swirl the pan to coat the bottom and pour excessive butter into the batter and mix.
< 5 > Cook pancakes as you would cook normal pancakes.

I roasted halved cherry tomatoes with olive oil and dried oregano to accompany the pancakes.  It was very nice to have sweetness and tartness of the tomatoes to balance out the bitterness and richness of the cheese.  The pancake is very fluffy with the whipped egg whites.   I think fig preserves will accompany this pancake very nicely, too.


I guess I was in the cooking mood this weekend.  I do bake every Sunday to bring to my father in law's house as desserts.  But I wanted to make something special for Father's day, so I opened the book of Pierre Herme even though it is a huge challenge for me.



It took hours to make, but it was tasty.  And my father in law loved it.  So I was very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...